Information about Saint Cristina isle, Venice
Information about Saint Cristina isle, Venice, Red Ammiana vineyard
Le Carline is pleased to introduce the history of Saint Cristina isle where is produced Ammiana ,the only Venetian lagoon organic wine.In ancient times the isle has been a part of an isles complex outreaching Torcello. In the VII century a church and a monastery has been built by Falier family. The church created for the benedectine nuns, has been dedicated to Saint Mark but in 1325, when from Costantinopoli has been carried Saint Cristina’ s body, the name of the isle turned into the present one. The benedectine nuns sticked around the isle until 1340 when they retired to Murano taking with them the relic of Saint Cristina. The order to return to the isle was given to the nuns, where they remained until 1452, when even the last nun Filippa Condulmer received the licence to move into Torcello.( Saint’s body has been leaded up to Torcello and then to the church of Saint Francesco della Vigna in Venice). A period where the isle has been uninhabited for subsidence reason followed, but over the maps of 1572 belonged to Bartolomeo Fontello and of 1573 belonged to Cristoforo Sabbadino , the isle displaies three groups of houses named Saint Cristina, Saint Mark, Saint Anzolo.
The easter side of the isle, cultivated and peopled, has been keeped unaltered until the XIX century as showed from another map of the ‘600 and from a manuscript of the’ 700 .
At the end of the ‘700 the isle has been part of Dona’s family property and showed a deep farm exploitation with a defined water network.
The built texture has been composed by the Sunday house ,a beacon, a small brickwork house and an oratory.
News between XIX and XX century until 1921 has been provided to us by the Napoleonic ,Austrian and Austrian-Italian land register.
In the meanwhile that the isle has been cultivated and peopled the property structure changed.
During the period between 1930 and 1970 the isle has been lived no more steadlily even if there is a proof about a sporadic presence of tenant farmers.
From 1972 a private citizen began to recovery the isle .In 1986 the isle has been bought by Saint Cristina Society s.r.l. and still now is the owner .
They begin a rationalisation of farming and horticulture committed to technical specialists so to obtain the identification of farm.
Nowadays the isle is completely transformed , growing has been turned into organic farming and both for the rebuilding and for taking care in farm changeover , it’s possible to recognize like a valid example of reemployment of a lagoon isle to its original vocation .
Specification of Ammiana , red wine from Venice coming from organic farming